Welcome back to Our Kitchen! On the menu tonight, Catfish Stew.
This (slightly modified) recipe was featured in The South Carolina Wildlife Cookbook, 2nd edition. Serves 12 or can easily be frozen to enjoy later!
- 4-6 lb. Catfish Filets cut into 1 in. pieces
- 1/2 lb. Bacon chopped
- 4 medium Onions chopped
- 4-5 medium Potatoes cut into 1 in. pieces
- 4 cups Water
- 1 bottle Ketchup
- 2 cans Tomato Soup
- 1 tbsp. Beef Bouillon or 1 cube
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt, Black Pepper, Cajun Seasoning, and Tobasco to taste
- 1 stick Butter
- Fry bacon in a 10 qt or larger stew pot
- Remove bacon and sauté onions in bacon grease until light brown
- Add water, ketchup, soup, beef bouillon, Worcestershire, and seasonings
- Bring to a boil then add potatoes
- Once potatoes are fork soft, add catfish and simmer for 30 mins (continually skim foam off the top)
- Add butter and cook for an additional 10 mins
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed on South Carolina Wild are solely those of the authors, and do not reflect official policies, positions, or endorsements of activity or products by the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources.