Welcome to Our Kitchen! On the menu tonight, Squirrel Stroganoff.
- 4 Squirrels
- Chicken Stock
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup or substitute with Cream of Chicken or Cream of Celery
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 to 1 lb. Baby Bella Mushrooms chopped or sliced
- 1/4 cup Onion diced
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 8 oz. Medium or Wide Egg Noodles
- 1 to 2 tsp. Sherry or to taste
- Quarter squirrels and remove ribs with kitchen shears or scissors.
- In a pot, Season chicken stock with onion, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Boil squirrel pieces in chicken stock until meat is easily removed from bone. This will take 45 to 90 minutes depending on the age of squirrels. Can be done ahead of time.
- Strain and save stock. Separate meat from bones.
- Add mushrooms and noodles to stock and boil until noodles are done.
- Drain noodles and mushrooms. Again, save the stock.
- Combine squirrel meat, mushrooms, noodles, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, 1/4 to 1/2 cup of stock, and sherry in a large mixing bowl. Mix ingredients thoroughly.
- Transfer ingredients to a 9 in. x 13 in. casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees covered for 15 minutes and uncovered for an additional 15 minutes.
- Top with additional sherry, if desired. Serve hot and ENJOY! Makes great leftovers too.
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed on South Carolina Wild are solely those of the authors, and do not reflect official policies, positions, or endorsements of activity or products by the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources.