The SCDNR Diadromous Fishes Program is seeking a motivated individual for an hourly technician position for the 2023-2024 sampling seasons. This employee will assist with statewide sampling projects conducted in rivers, estuaries, and sounds. In addition, this position will also involve entering data and mending project gear. This position will be based out of the Charleston, SC office located at the Marine Resources Division’s Fort Johnson campus.
This position pays $12.00 an hour and lasts for one year. The number of hours worked will not exceed 40 hours per week and may include participation in weekend and holiday on-call duties. Please be aware of the cost of living in Charleston, SC before applying for this position, as no housing is provided.
- Assist with field sampling to monitor sturgeon, shad, herring, and eels using gill nets and/or electrofishing equipment
- Record all data accurately and completely in field books and into electronic databases
- Maintain equipment
- Work with commercial and recreational fishers to collect biological samples
- Applicant should possess strong knowledge of small boat operation and trailering
- Educational background in biology, marine sciences, or ecology is preferred
- Strong communication skills, including ability to interact with the public
- Competence with data entry and computer software
- Applicant is detail-oriented and possesses problem-solving skills
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Must be a citizen of the United States
- All applicants must be accustomed to physically demanding conditions including riding on boats, extreme heat, humidity, rain, direct sunlight, uneven terrain (sand) and insects
- Candidate must be able to lift 40 lbs
How to Apply
Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume or CV, and three (3) references (name and contact information) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Charleston Technician Position” in the subject line. Open until filled. Applications will be reviewed as they are received. You will be contacted if you are chosen for an interview.
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed on South Carolina Wild are solely those of the authors, and do not reflect official policies, positions, or endorsements of activity or products by the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources.